Saturday, September 06, 2008

Save It For a Rainy Day


I woke up today, trying to recall all the things I said I'd save for a rainy day -- because today was indeed just that.

In the afternoon, I went out in it and got absolutely SOAKED. It was one of those sideways-downpour days where an umbrella is rendered useless. My clothes were soaked, my shoes were soaked, and my hair and face were drenched. Upon the return home, I promptly fired my umbrella.

Before that, I had my friend Abby Nguyen over. She wanted to see my newly redone apartment and of course meet the doves. We had a good time catching up. She and I go way, way back.

Unbeknown to me, at about the same time I was hanging out with Abby, I was being relived of some of my duties as an ex-girlfriend. Jon Adams and his girlfriend broke up, and by the sounds of things, it was an inconsequential happenstance that left both parties feeling indifferent. Gosh.

I was supposed to go out tonight and partake in the Hot Black Dress Party Version 2.0, but the endless rain today left me feeling chilly, so all I wanted to do was wear comfy pajamas, order take-out from my favorite Italian restaurant, and get cozy under a blanket on the couch in front of the TV. I felt bad being the flaky girl who bagged, but I wasn't the only one.

I actually feel a degree of guilt tonight for NOT going out. After all, how am I going to meet Mr. Right if I'm not making myself available? But then I remind myself that I'm usually ALWAYS worrying and thinking about meeting Mr. Right and so perhaps for one night I ought to just sit back and not worry about it.

Speaking of the whole dating scene, it seems like everyone these days is meeting someone online. My friend Jon Downing met his girlfriend online. Amanda Cavallo met her Keith online. There are plenty of others and there's no longer a stigma attached to it. Am I missing out? Should I be doing this, too?

I forgot to tell you that yesterday after school my friend Brooke Walsh gave me some very tangible inspiration -- in the form of two cans of paint!

They were my favorite colors: a sunshine yellow and a robin's egg blue. I was thrilled! She explained that they were left over from when she painted her children's nursery and she figured I might find something to paint with them. Thanks, Brooke! I'll be sure to ask any remaining brown (and boring!) furniture pieces I have if they feel like wearing a new coat.

Oh my gosh, I have to go. I just got word that a bunch of my old friends are right here in Lancaster, throwing a celebratory bash! Forget the quality time I wanted to spend on the couch with my blanket....I am SO THERE instead!! Bye!!!