Monday, November 10, 2008

Time Travel in Fashion

Lately, I have found myself quite enamored with fashion from the World War II Era.

It makes me want to wear a pretty wool cardigan, a pair of brown leather boots, carry a leather handbag, and wear some costume jewelry.

It's even affecting the kind of music I listen to and the kind of thought patterns I have. Isn't that fantastic?

Every few months, I pick a new "darling" of fashion history to love. And right now, this it for me.

I was almost going to agree with my friend Vicki and make Bill Kaulitz my "it" icon for the month of November (because he truly is an icon of fashion), but I decided to postpone that for something that would better fit for the autumn month of November and carry me safely through family dinners and seasonal house parties.

Of course, you won't see me looking like this all the time. I'll do it only when I'm in the mood, and even then it may be only minor elements of my exterior that pay a small homage to this era.

And of course I won't achieve it perfectly by any means (unless, of course, you want to give me an early Christmas gift card to Anthropologie). I believe the means ought to be just as fun as the end, especially because the end may never be arrived at.