Friday, January 16, 2009

What's he thinking? Where's he looking? Is he dreaming?

I wonder about him often. Does he have the same hopes and dreams as me? Is he searching for me, as I am for him? Have I met him already but just haven't recognized him? And if so, what would lift the veil from my eyes?

I recently had a beautiful dream in which God told me that He would allow me to have almost full communication with my future husband right now. I would not hear his voice, only feel it.

Through this special gift of communication, we could talk about almost anything we wanted. And, because of this, we would have assistance in finding one another. However, in the dream, God said that we could not communicate anything about what surrounded us (meaning our location or the people near us) nor could we speak of what we looked like. And yet we had to come up with a suitable plan to find--and recognize--one another in this great, great big world.

So how would you find a person among the 6 billion out there if you weren't told any physical characteristics nor a precise (or even general) location? Trusting God that this person would come into your life somehow, how would you recognize them from among all the others?

I have thought about this at length, and I think that the only recognizable, non-physical feature we could use to identify each other would be virtue. He's not allowed to tell me, "Look for me to be volunteering at a soup kitchen," but I should be able to recognize him by his kind and generous heart, no matter where he is, even in an ordinary place, like the checkout line at a grocery store.

But he COULD say to me, "Look for me to be the bright, happy person in the group. I will have faith even when the people around me do not." Or maybe he will say, "I will let others go before me and will be the last one in line."

And I could say things to him like, "Expect me to be the girl who will speak of God even in settings where He is not normally spoken of." Or, I could say, "Watch for me to be the one who initiates the prayer."

You know, stuff like that.

Because what else is there, really? We'd have to use either virtues or the opposite of them....but those would cause our self-destruction.

If this whole dream thing is true, then it sure shows the importance of staying virtuous in EVERY setting because you never know who's watching. :-)