Sunday, February 08, 2009

Nobody's Hatched Yet!

Yesterday marked 18 days since Pure laid her fourth and only fertile egg. I anticipated that it would be the day our little guy would hatch into the world, but he has yet to make his appearance. He has, however, doubled in size since I last looked at his shadow inside the egg.

Pure's behavior changed this weekend. She's become disinterested with both eggs, leaving the full duty to Dad -- who, thankfully, has been doing a dutiful job of sitting on the eggs without complaint. Normally, the Changing of the Guard would only give Mom free time for 5 minutes to 12 hours (depending on what she wanted), but this weekend she has been going 24 hours without wanting to sit on those eggs. Sheesh!

But, like I said, Innocent seems to be doing just fine keeping them warm. When he gets finicky, then I know he needs a momentary break to go to the bathroom, stretch is wings, and eat a little something. When I clean the cage, I put the eggs on my laptop to keep them warm. Do you see how the infertile egg has turned slightly brown? What an eggsperience this is!