Monday, April 13, 2009

The Confectionery Connoisseur's Cupcakes :-)

My apartment is becoming a quaint little confectionery shop. :-)

On Thursday afternoon, while shopping for a yellow Easter dress, I spotted some adorable cupcakes in the window of Williams & Sonoma. Their layers of bright, fluffy icing looked so delicious that I simply had to step in to inquire what would become of these little puffs of cuteness when the window display would change.

A friendly manager named Jennifer wrote my name and phone number on a pad of paper and promised to call. I could have them, she said, because otherwise they would simply go in the trash. Fantastic!

And so today, while I was teaching about fractional monomials, my celly inconveniently rang in the middle of class, just when we were looking for common denominators. Fortunately, my students are well experienced with the inopportune, unexpected phone call, and so I apologized and nobody gave it another thought.

Well, nobody except for me! Yes, I was done thinking about x's and y's and couldn't wait to check my voicemail to see if I was being summoned to the store to pick up my sugary sweets.

And sure enough I was!

When the school bell rang at 3:10, in haste I jetted off to the store, and found 11 of the dozen jumbo cupcakes all ready to go home with me, gingerly set on paper plates, wrapped carefully in Seran.

Sadly, one had fallen to the floor and shattered, they explained. And while the demise of the pretty one with the dragonfly was unfortuante, the deceased cupcake was proof that these confectionery cuties were all dried out and ready to be sprayed with shellac!

Before leaving, I got to meet the baker who created and then decorated these extra large cupcakes. She seemed thankful that her stale beauties weren't going into the trash and said, "I'm glad my cupcakes will be living on!!"