Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Memorial Day Weekend

Have you ever noticed that the first and last bites of a hot dog are usually the worst?

The dog-to-bun ratio of these tail-end tear-offs are unbalanced in favor of the bun, leaving you with a mushy mouthful of bread and nothing much else.

And while outdoor picnics and grilling abound on a weekend such as this, I found myself fortunate enough to have been at perhaps the BEST one of them all, for the aforementioned problem was no problem at all.

The hot dogs that my friend's family was serving were exceedingly long, hanging an inch or two off the end of the bun on either end. It was like the tall person's most torturous mattress, the kind where BOTH his feet and his head would nearly be hanging off the edge, since there just wasn't enough length for his whole body.

Somehow this dog-to-bun ratio in favor of the meat was a lot more enjoyable, even though it was as equally unbalanced as the opposite scenario that my mouth was used to.

We ate well that night, all of us consuming about 22 hot dogs and burgers combined, if my calculations were correct. :-)