Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Celebrating Dad's 60th Birthday

This weekend, we celebrated my father's 60th birthday!  I decided to host the party!  :)

I got Dad a big "60" balloon and was extremely excited to have my first dinner party in the new dining room!

Earlier in the week, Mom brought over two arrangements of beautiful hydrangeas from her garden.  They still looked amazing, so I kept them on the table as centerpieces!

Here's a photo I snapped just as I was beginning to set the table.  At first, I thought that only 5 people would be coming.

But, when I realized how much food I had, I decided that we needed more people!  So, I spontaneously called my neighbors and invited them to the party.



I made Dad's birthday cake using ice cream sandwiches, crushed Oreo cookies, hot fudge, and Cool Whip. 

The prep was quick and easy; you just need to then wrap it in tinfoil and stick it in the freezer for four hours so that the whole thing solidifies.

I did make a couple of hostess snafus, though.  I forgot to put salad plates atop the dinner plates, and while I tried to offer to rinse everyone's plate of the salad dressing residue before serving the main meal, everyone insisted that they'd be fine since everything was on its way to the same place.  Haha!

Dad seemed to enjoy himself!  Mom and Grandmom were very happy.  And our neighbors Mike and Emma seemed really happy to be spontaneously included!



Afterward, we took a very short car ride (about 1 minute!) to the local park to watch the Air National Guard Band play patriotic music.  My favorite part was when they played all the songs for each of the branches of the military, asking current and former veterans to stand when their branch song was played.  Dad stood for the Navy, and Michael then stood for the Air Force!  I was so proud of both of them!!