Thursday, June 28, 2012

Celebrating My Parents' Birthdays!

We recently celebrated both of my parents' birthdays, since they are so close together!

Mom and Dad suggested that we eat at one of their favorite old-fashioned ice cream shops.  So we grabbed a picnic table nearest the creek and set up shop.  Mom thought to bring extra special details, like a red gingham tablecloth and red plates and cups.  She even brought veggies from home and a liter of root beer so that we could easily make ice cream floats.  Yum!


I gave Mom a gift certificate to J. Jill so that hopefully she can treat herself to a fun wardrobe addition.

To Dad, the Mac lover of the family, I gave this unique gift:


They are place mats which I made to look like buttons from the Apple computer keyboard.  It took all afternoon to make them, but--based on Dad's reaction--I think it was worth it!  All I did was print the letters onto specialty paper, cut them out individually (which took the most amount of time), peel the backing from each letter, and then iron them on.

Perhaps it was a bit of a goofy gift, but I had fun making them.  Perhaps we'll use them the next time we have dinner at Mom and Dad's house!  Steve Jobs would be proud.  :)