Thursday, February 07, 2013

Away It All Goes


I've decided what I'm going to give up for Lent this year:  jewelry.

Well, all decorative jewelry, at least, except any that is religious in nature.  It will help me to remember that Lent is a time of mourning, a time of sacrifice, and a time to renew our Baptismal vows and focus on the loving God who saved us.

So, if makes me feel pretty, forget it.  If it inspires me to grow in faith, then on it goes.

Oh my, it looks like I won't be wearing earrings for the next 40 days!

As you know, I love my yellow gold jewelry.  And I adore my diamond engagement ring.  But these things come from worldly desires, and those are illusionary.  This world is passing away, after all.

The Bible says, "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear."  It also reminds us that one day our gold and silver shall corrode, and this is a reminder of how we should instead store up treasures in Heaven.  Amen.

Not getting the chance to wear pretty gold jewelry will be an excellent practice of humility, a virtue I need more of.  It will remind me that my REAL joys do not come from things but rather from the God and the people that I love!

The beginning of Lent will be soon.  Tonight, as I packed away my gold jewelery and looked again at my pewter cross, Miraculous Medal, St. Philomena Cord, and woolen Brown Scapular, I remembered anew how important it is to clothe ourselves with the things of Christ.  And those things are invisible. :)