Saturday, March 09, 2013

Hello, Old Friend

Ah, the early 90s.  I lived through them.  You lived through them.  We all lived through them, for better or worse.  And now they're totally BACK again, with all the ugly fashion details that entails.


I mean that.  Fashion was a tad ugly back then.  It was just the way of it, but none of us knew it because we were all in the same boat.

We didn't get perspective as a society until another decade-and-a-half passed.  More recently, I think, we started looking better.  By this I mean the years 2000 to 2009 or so. 

Sometime in there--that beautiful decade between 2000 and 2009--somebody with a good grasp of calculus started applying it to fashion design, and finally (finally!) the common girl like me could get jeans that were perfect-fitting for her body, like the celebs had access to years before.

Too bad my postpartum body doesn't fit into any of them anymore.  No calculus in the world could predict the curves this girl has now!

But although I think we all really looked good between 2000 and 2009, looking great all the time is boring.  In fact, it's basic.  On the other hand, experimenting with funky trends, even if they're ridiculous and you know you'll regret this later, is SO much more interesting.

This is why thrift stores and my mother's boxed-up wardrobe items are now highly sought after.  I keep telling her never to throw anything away because it will ALL come back into style.  (Actually, I think SHE taught me that axiom originally.)

But the thing I love about returning fashions is that they tend to be a little bit more refined.  Subtle updates mean people can pay tribute to a throwback while still looking forward.

So here's me, sporting a newly-bought early '90s dress and cardigan from the clearance rack at Old Navy.  The fear you see on my face is because I know this doesn't look all that great.  But I don't care.  I'm having fun with clothes again.  :)

I picked up the cute leather purse while in Italy on our honeymoon.  It lends itself perfectly to early 90s fashion.  Dang, it's like I saw this coming!

These booties continue to be my fave.  And yes, the ugly white socks atop my gray tights was intentional.  Please, someone stop me if I go too overboard with this!
Have fun dressing up, everyone.