Saturday, March 02, 2013

Sede Vacante


Yesterday our beloved Pope Benedict XVI stepped down.  And out.  And into a private life of prayer. 

It's the last segment of his earthly pilgrimage, he explained.  He just didn't have the physical strength to carry on any longer.

I cried when I saw the helicopter carrying his elderly body from the Vatican to Castel Gandolfo.  We had just been there, to his summer residence, oh-so-recently when he blessed our marriage while we were in Italy for our honeymoon.  I guess it was two summers ago, but it feels like just yesterday.  It always will.

I cried because of the frailty of the human condition.  I cried because of human weakness.  I cried because of our limitations.  I cried because I will miss him.  I cried because death will eventually come to us all.

"He is just a man," Michael reminded me.  And I knew this.   Our pope is meant to shepard the flock like Christ, but he is NOT Christ.   He is to be the face of Christ, but he is NOT Christ.  This made my heart ache for our God all the more.  This earthly life is but a deep yearning for Heaven.

The Chair of St. Peter is now vacant.  And in that last hour leading up to its vacancy, Liam and I prayed our usual Thursday afternoon Holy Hour, asking the Holy Spirit to guide the cardinals in their discernment of who should lead our Church next and to protect this man who so lovingly lead the Church for 8 years.


Please consider "adopting a cardinal," pledging to pray for his discernment at AdoptACardinal.org.