Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Nap Nazi


I'm thinking of becoming a Nap Nazi.  And I'm on the verge of making it official. 

Oddly, though, I keep getting compliments about being the exact opposite.  People are constantly praising me for my easy-going attitude toward the taking-of-naps.  I find this odd, but indeed it is the most common compliment I get as a parent.  Isn't that strange?

"It's so cool that you don't let Liam control your lifestyle!" they'll say, and I'm immediately puzzled because, up until just 2 months ago, I used to get up several times a night to breastfeed him.

"I love that you don't have to head home for a nap!" another will say, amazed at how my little boy will still wear a big smile as he fights-it-out to stay awake, keeping most people (including his mama) oblivious to the fact that he's actually darn tired.

So the reality is this:  I'm a very active mama with a full calendar.  And I've got a little boy who's easy-going and rolls with those punches.  If we have several days of activities back-to-back (which we often do) then days will go by and Liam is not getting any more sleep than we are.

But, just because this is our reality and we're keeping up with it, doesn't mean it's right or what I really desire as a parent for my child.

On those odd days that we stay in and go nowhere, my precious boy naps and naps.  He'll enjoy one or two in a day (lasting one or two hours each); and, even then, he'll be most agreeable to an early bedtime.  He eats more on those days, too.  And so do I.  They're just calmer and healthier and better for us.

But the fact remains:  My 11-month old needs and deserves an afternoon nap.  And he needed it and deserved it months ago, too.  Without it, his growth and development could be stunted, and I'm not willing to take that risk any longer.


Furthermore, my boy deserves a nap in his own blessed bed, and a car ride snooze (amid traffic and radio and ringing cell phones) will not suffice as a replacement. 

On top of all that, this mama needs some down time where she's not juggling baby duty along with all her other engagements.  She, too, needs peace and quiet and a chance to get work done that isn't between the hours of Midnight and 3 AM.


So there you have it, dear reader.  It's now official.  I'm gonna make myself into a Nap Nazi.  The hours between 2 and 4 PM shall be untouchable, golden treasures of peaceful bliss for both of us that the world MAY NOT TAKE FROM US.

Wish me luck.  (And, get ready, Daddy, for some healthier, more home-cooked meals that are finally ready on time!)