Sunday, September 08, 2013

The Domestic Duties Dance

Ah, the Five Love Languages. 

You've heard of them, I'm sure.  The philosophy says that we each prefer to show love and receive love through five, primary methods.

Photo Credit:  5LoveLanguages.com

If there's one way that my husband shows me love, it's through acts of service.  

I was away all day on a newborn photo session recently, and when I came back, he proudly listed all the things he had done for me:  mowed the lawn, washed the dishes, did the laundry, cleaned the basement, paid the bills, vacuumed the living room, walked the dog, went grocery shopping, and re-oganized my kitchen cabinets.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.

I, on the other hand, am the kind of person who would much rather show love by cuddling on the couch and leaving the dirty dishes to rot in the sink.  Seriously.

Perhaps this is why God paired us together.  Michael balances me out.  And thank God.  Without him, I'd be a mess.  (And my kitchen sink would be even messier.)

I'm the creative sort who invents new projects and gets so into these new adventures that she loses awareness of anything else...and also loses track of time.  If I didn't have a wiggly, wonderful baby boy who cries when he's hungry, I'd forget to eat lunch altogether.  Seriously.

Sometimes, when I really do just want to sit on the couch and cuddle and let those dirty dishes rot, Michael flexes his muscles in ways other than putting his arms around me.  He gets the job done.

And while it might be less fun and is certainly less exciting, washing a sink full of dishes and mowing a lawn full of grass can be sexy, you see.  Although our eyes might catch only when I'm lifting Liam from the car seat and Michael's unloading the groceries, these domestic duties are our dance for something more.  :)