Thursday, December 05, 2013

His Game Gets an Upgrade

Sometime between 12 and 15 months old, our boy upgraded the usual game of Peek-a-Boo to the new challenge of Hide-and-Go-Seek.

When he's ready to play, he'll quietly begin to sneak away, and he always picks the same place to go to.

There's this little space behind the sofa, and he tries to wedge himself in it.  Like an ostrich, only his little head will be hidden from view.  The rest of him is plain as day.

As I call out, "Where's Liam?  Where is he?" his sweet little feet will wiggle with excitement and tuck underneath his bum in excited anticipation.

And then the laughing begins -- or tries to.  But, because he's trying to be quiet and hold still, he holds his breath until he must desperately inhale; and, when he does, he makes this delightful "Uuuueeehhh!" sound which surely would help me find him, if I didn't already see him.

So I pace the room...and look under things...and continually ask Macy the dog if she has seen a cute little boy with blonde hair.  And she always looks at me in disbelief, boggled that I'm not hyper-aware (as she is) of the location of the big X-factor in our living room, which is the cause for all unanticipated flying objects, excessive noise, and bumpy collisions.

When he is finally ready to surprise me, my sweet little blonde boy will burst forth with unbridled giggles, a twinkle in his eye, and a smile that melts my heart.


Motherhood is such a privilege.  These blissful days are so sweet that I cannot believe they are on this side of Heaven.  Thank you, Jesus!