Sunday, January 05, 2014

Our Little Drummer Boy

Today we celebrate the Feast of the Epiphany, the day the three kings arrived at the stable, bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  

According to legend, this is the day that a poor young boy was summoned by the Magi to the nativity where, without a gift for the infant Jesus, he plays his drum while remembering "I played my best for Him" and "He smiled at me."

And, so, this was our inspiration for giving Liam an Epiphany gift this morning.  :)

Liam excitedly crawled out to the Christmas tree to discover one last, very special gift from us:  a drum set!

And, oh, what fun he had.  :)




We owe a special thanks to Michael's brother Terry and his wife Cindy for sharing this great gift-giving idea with us.  :)


I gave Michael a shirt from J. Crew, and he gave me a beautiful frame of some of our favorite family photographs.  Liam immediately and repeatedly pointed at Macy's photo, his little face inquisitive, concerned, and smile-less.  I started to cry.


We reminded him again how she passed away because she was very old, and we told him how she is now happy with Jesus in Heaven.   I love how, in the photograph below, you can see the expression of Michael and Liam's faces in the reflection of the glass as they look at our beloved Macy.


Did I tell you that the day after Macy passed, Liam gave me some of the hardest hugs I've ever received from him?  He also kissed me 14 times in a row after he saw me crying again.  I told him that his loving kisses brought Mommy so much comfort.  God bless him!


Happy feast day, everyone!