Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Bump on the Nose

I got my nose pierced over a year ago. You would think that by now he would be used to sitting there. He's got a great view, really, and there's nothing to be jealous of (except for maybe my tragus piercing).

For the most part, we get along.

But sometimes he flares up into an angry little red bubble of emotion for seemingly no reason at all, grimacing back at me in the mirror.

Now I understand that he could get angry with me if I bumped him -- and rightfully so. But in these instances, I usually have NOT bumped him. In fact, I'll have usually paid no attention to him at all. It seems like every 3 months or so he just ASKS to be noticed.

My friends Pearl and Kate have nose piercings as well, and they have admitted to sometimes having to deal with their tiny friends' spouts of anger occasionally, but--for the most part--their piercings are cooperative little holes that eagerly accept changes of jewelry (like the nose rings that they both switched to recently).

I, of course, don't spoil my piercing new gifts like that, and perhaps that is why he gets upset with me. About a month ago when I was washing my face, he deftly kicked that diamond stud right outta my nose and down the sink! He probably THOUGHT that this action would be rewarded with something new and different (such as a ring or a different kind of stud) but what he didn't realize is that I have several backup diamonds ready to go at a moment's notice.

I guess I won that battle, but in this red-bubble business, I'm decidedly the loser. *sigh*