Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Feast Day, Catherine!!!




Today is the Feast Day of my beloved patron saint, St. Catherine Laboure! I had it written in my planner but didn't realize it was her day until my friend Andy emailed me this morning. Wow, what a great day this shall be!

I chose Catherine as my patron because of the connection I felt with her back when I attended St. Catherine Laboure Catholic School in Glenview, IL. That experience was so formative for me and has thus greatly shaped who I am today, so--when we moved to Pennsylvania and it was time to choose a Confirmation name--of course Catherine was my girl!

Catherine is probably most recognized for her lovely paper-airplane hat. She is fabulous for so many reasons! Not only did the Blessed Mother appear to her several times in 1830, but Catherine was asked by Mary to have made what later became known as the Miraculous Medal.

In her little life of humility, the medal was propagated without anyone knowing which sister received the message from Mary. Catherine's confessor, a nice priest whose name I cannot recall at this moment, kept Catherine's identity a secret and delivered the medal's design to an artist who had them produced by the thousands! It wasn't until Catherine died that people learned the origin of the medal.

I got to see Catherine's incorrupt body at the Daughters of Charity Motherhouse on the Rue de Bac in Paris, France in 2005. It was the fulfillment of a lifelong goal! I was so excited to see her that I remember running in and going directly to her on the right side altar of the church. Then I remember walking out on airy clouds, so happy that I had finally beheld her with my own eyes.

It wasn't until the flight home when I realized that my excitement for Catherine caused me to totally neglect the other incorrupt saint who was on the left side altar! I barely glanced in her direction, and I had no idea who she was! With a little online research, I realized it was St. Louise de Marillac. So the next time I go to Paris, I shall visit this even more humble saint first!! And then I shall love seeing my Catherine again! :-)

Three of the most special things I have of Catherine are:

1. Her first class relic (a bone most likely taken from the back of her neck, which I obtained through a stranger's generosity and which resides in an antique locket)

2. A small antique wooden statue of her (which principal Sister Elaine spontaneously gave to me right from the surface of her desk when my parents and I explained that we were moving to Pennsylvania)

3. A gorgeous, 2-foot tall, hand-painted statue of Catherine which my friend Andy surprised me with for my 29th birthday, which he gave to me early, just a few days before I was to enjoy Mass with the pope!


Happy Feast Day, Catherine Laboure! Please pray for us!