Saturday, November 01, 2008

Real, Plastic, or Spiritual Roses?

Remember that blog I wrote about me sitting here in my tepee, awaiting somebody's arrival with patience?

Someone arrived this evening, and he gallantly took me out to (and paid for!) a lovely dinner. He came from a far, far away land, named after the virtue of Brotherly Love. (Well, I guess he's actually from New Jersey, but close enough!)

He ran late, which was perfect -- because I was doing the very same thing.

Having a guest is the best inspiration for cleaning my apartment, and so I spent the afternoon tidying things up. He was eager to hold the doves and didn't seem to freak out at all when they flew around him in jovial circles.

I should have thought to call ahead and make reservations at the restaurant, but the thought didn't even cross my mind, I guess because I wasn't sure precisely where we'd eat anyhow. So when we got to the restaurant and were told it'd be a 1-hour wait, we walked up to the bar and hoped for the best -- and thankfully there were 2 seats together, waiting for us!

He was very straight-forward and revealing with me, which I thought was nice for two people just getting to know each other. And he actually kinda looks like the dude in the picture above, only his hair was shorter. And although he didn't bring me roses, we certainly spent a good amount of time talking about them, both in their real form, plastic form, and spiritual form (as is the kind that St. Therese showers down).

He's a piano instructor by day, a DuPont security guard by night, and a marine on the weekends. He left around 8:30 or so to make it back in time for work, but I was sure to thank him again for his generosity.