Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Very Happy Thanksgiving!





Yesterday was the first time in my life where I spent the WHOLE DAY preparing food in the kitchen!

From the early morning until the late evening, I was an apprentice in my Aunt Tess' kitchen, a place that seems to always bubble over with laughter, great conversations, and delicious food.

The kitchen is nestled in the back part of her and my Uncle Fred's adorable old stone home, and their place is hidden among the trees in the middle of a cluster of farm fields. Truly, we are out in the country when we are there, and it is so nice!

I picked up my Grandmother in the morning, and together we ladies enjoyed good conversation and laughter as we went through our list of culinary creations to make!

The day would have been better if my mother could have joined us as well, but she and my father went out for breakfast and had a leisurely drive in my dad's sports car, since my mother is currently afflicted with a rash of eczema on her hands. :-(

I basted the turkey, stuffed it with oyster filling, and even sewed the 20-pound bird closed. All this was quite a courageous accomplishment for a girl who was a vegetarian for 11 years!

While things cooked, we chatted away, and I even managed to grade my pre-algebra students’ Chapter 3 Tests.

We also watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York, followed by old fashioned, black-and-white movies, like Anne of Green Gables and The Robe.

When it was all said and done, I believe we had four or five appetizers, NINE side dishes, two kinds of breads, and a table full of desserts!

We ate on my aunt’s collection of Ned Foltz pottery dishes, and—by the end of the night—we were so stuffed that none of us could move!

My family is so important to me, and it felt so good to be around them. I have so much to be thankful for!

My Aunt Tess said this was the most relaxing Thanksgiving she ever had, and it was all because I was there all day, helping her!

I just can’t believe that I cooked a entire turkey successfully! Thank you, God!! :-)

There was a huge abundance of leftovers, so we divided them among us. I just about filled my refrigerator with Tupperware containers when I got home. Yum, yum, yum!!

This year has been a particularly sweet Thanksgiving. I have so, so much to be thankful for. God's creativity, timing, and methods just make me stand in AWE of Him.

When I pause to think about the story of my life which is being written as I live, I am thankful that my life has been much more interesting than I could have ever imaged it to be. The book of my life has become--at least for me--an unpredictable, unique page-turner. :-)