Saturday, November 29, 2008

Getting Picked for the Team


Where do I begin? What can I say that would encapsulate this amazing, extra-long weekend?

I can't even find the proper words for it. Or maybe it's that hushed silence that comes upon oneself when one has discovered a very precious jewel. It's a gasp, followed by a hush, and then a peaceful quiet.

It's the kind that makes your jaw drop and then puts an extra spring in your step. You go about, doing your normal activities, secretly knowing that something really amazing has happened. You feel embarrassed for having been impatient and silly for not trusting.

At least, these are the feelings I have right now. And while feelings can't always be trusted, at least detecting the presence of them gives one an opportunity to judge their fruitfulness, which I shall do at length with great honesty and care.

I feel like the girl in gym class who finally got picked for a team. There's that momentary wonder of, "Did they just call my name?" followed by the jubilant realization that yes, yes, yes they did.