Sunday, January 18, 2009

Last Night's Outfit Inspiration

My outfit last night was a tribute to Bill Kaulitz, the adorable emo front man of German rock band Tokio Hotel.

I had spent about 2-3 months preparing for it, putting the elements together slowly, never quite finding myself in the perfect mood or going to a suitable event until last night.

My friend Vicki introduced me to the band, and she is utterly, profoundly, and completely obsessed with all things Bill. She's got that rock star fever for him, and it turned out to be contagious. :-)

In all the rushing around last night, I forgot to take a picture of myself (sorry, Vicki!!) but the outfit went something like this:

1. black wig
2. tight black leather jacket
3. tons of metal chains around the neck, all in varying lengths
4. chains around the wrists
5. black cotton mini-skirt
6. gray tights
7. European-style, low-cut leather boots with heels
8. silver nose hoop (the closest I could come to his eyebrow ring without having to get another piercing!)

For my own sense of personalization, I tied some black ribbons around my neck and wore big black hoop earrings. I also wore a pair of fingerless black gloves with safety pins on them. Fun, fun!

True, this is not the typical getup for a live hip-hop show or an outing to a dance club, but I was in the mood for it. :-)

The live hip-hop took place at a homeless shelter in the city. Dana sported one of my wigs also, making us almost unrecognizable to our friend John M. who met us there. We had a lot of fun, and it turned out that the dude I was speaking to (known as "Jeo") rapped at the block party I went to in Northeast Philly (on 17th and Diamond Streets) this past August. Small world! His set was fabulous, and we exchanged contact info so that I could continue to stay in on the local music scene.

Around 10:30 or so, Dana and I went out dancing, where we inadvertently met up with my old friend Barry from high school and some of his friends. Around 1 AM, we were exhausted and decided to call it a night.

The best part of the night was when I witnessed all the rap artists tightly pack around a female rapper, lifting her up in prayer that God would heal her strained vocal chords. They were joyfully praying aloud, raising their voices up to God in Heaven, some even speaking in tongues. It was a profound thing to witness, and while I have observed something similiar a few times before, nothing was quite as poinyant as this. It actually brought about a joyful, tingly sensation in my body that came upon me as waves of warmth and happiness and plastered a wide, happy smile on my face. I think it was a bit of the delight that comes from feeling the joy of others' praise for God in the Highest!