Friday, January 30, 2009

Prep School Academic

A few months ago, I was enamored with World War II-era fashion. Now the things that have been inspiring me are prep-school academic.

Visions of leather briefcases, hardbound books, deep colors, wool sweaters, and imposing architecture have filled my thoughts with grandeur and have made me consider auditing a philosophy class, traveling, or at least re-examining the attire which I thought to be so stuffy and boring.

Winter will only be here for another two months (that's only 8 weekends!), so I've decided that I must make the most of the present opportunity to pop a white collar out from underneath a navy blue sweater, keep my legs warm in cable-knit tights, wrap a scarf around my neck, and dress my hair with one of those elastic bands that sings an old-fashioned melody.

Have I told you that I'm trying to make a conscious effort to say, "How do you do?" when I am introduced to someone new?

I keep forgetting, but it's on my list. I'm sure it will feel fabulous to say, especially if I extend my hand in the process and give a limp handshake.

I can't wait to try it!

But first, I must search my closet for a thin leather belt with which to tie together the three books I am simultaneously reading. Monday morning I'll be carrying them to school like Pinocchio.