Sunday, February 08, 2009

Academic Inspiration

This past week I welcomed a student teacher into my classroom!

I like him very much. He is taking a lot of initiative and is also thoughtful and reflective.

I find myself going to school in the mornings even more excited, knowing that I won't have to go through my day alone.

It is an honor and a privilege to have an apprentice beside you that is eager to learn from you -- and always ready to help you complete your work! I can already tell that I will miss him greatly when he leaves in three months.

And while the education of children is indeed a noble and worthwhile pursuit that is good in and of itself, this man has no idea that his mentor gleans much of her academic inspiration from silly things like a fresh pack of wooden pencils, a new eraser that hasn't yet developed smudge marks, and the placement of an old fashioned patch on a cardigan sweater!

Well.... Maybe--just maybe--he might be onto me.

When the package finally arrived in my mailbox this week, I tore into the envelope before we even made it back to my classroom. So, of course, he witnessed first-hand my sheer excitement of finally having those antique patches I found on eBay.

I also outlined which writing utensils were permissible to lend to the students and which very special ones were absolutely not.

Finally, I revealed to him my precious archive of new and gently-used erasers, entrusting him to judiciously dispense them to our pupils only as needed. :-)