Sunday, February 08, 2009

Taking a Deep Breath

I think I have a really sensitive olfactory gland.

My nose absolutely DELIGHTS in so many things. Right now I am enjoying the smell of my antique kitchen table. Every once in a while, she smells like the gas stove she must have sat near for years before I got her. And while gas stoves aren't exactly the nicest thing to smell, the unique odor brings back these lovely memories of a kitchen I cooked in for one summer when I lived in Philadelphia.

Last night, the air in Marietta smelled absolutely amazing. I was walking near a river, and perhaps that is why the organic smell of LIFE was filling the air. There most definitely was a hint of Spring to the aroma, and this delighted me beyond words. I felt I could smell new grass growing underneath fresh dirt, and then I brushed passed a pine tree that smelled so amazing that I had to stop and shove my nose into his branches for several deep inhalations.

But my absolute, all-time favorite smell is the aroma of burning wood on a cold winter's night, perceived from a far-off distance. Second place in the category of Smells Enjoyed from a Far Off Distance is my love of gasoline, best savored in the morning on a winter's day. Both scents absolutely stop me in my tracks and make me breathe deeply, putting my entire life on hold for a few moments while I take in all the air that I can get.

Then there are more subtle scents that one must actively seek out to enjoy. The delightful smell of my doves, for example, is only enjoyed when your nose is touching their feathers. A freshly sharpened pencil or the burning smell of an overly-used eraser can only be enjoyed when it's a few centimeters away from the nose. The pages of a book, the ink dye within a CD's artwork page... Mmm, all of these are so yummy to my nose!! Thank you, God, for this wonderful way to perceive the world around me!! *sniff, sniff*