Saturday, May 02, 2009

6 Months of a Natural Face

In this month of May, among the many things I will celebrate, one of them will be an obscure, half-year anniversary.

What mile-marker have I come upon, you ask?

Well, it has been 6 months since I've let soap suds touch the skin of my face. Can you believe it?!

The alpha male of my life is kinda freaked out about this, and perhaps rightfully so. When I first started doing it (or not doing it, to be more precise) I felt naughty. It felt as if I was breaking social morés and hygienic codes of conduct. I felt like I was walking around with a dirty little secret, when perhaps the only dirty thing I had was my face!

But two of my friends swore by it as being the best favor you could do to your face, claiming that to use soap is to strip away from this highly specialized and sensitive skin the nutrients and oils it produces naturally to keep itself well-maintained.

The trouble is, of course, that both of those friends were of the male variety, a species I normally wouldn't take advice from in the area of cleanliness or beauty.

But I was getting acne, and products were not working anyhow, so why not give it a shot? And so I did. And then over 150 days passed.

And while I'm certainly not a China doll with porcelain skin, my skin has indeed been a lot happier. I still occasionally get red spots on my jawline, but I suspect that this may be only because I still use soap on my neck (when in the shower), and unless I remember to check in the mirror, a few stray suds always stay on my jawline and linger on.

So will I keep this up for another 6 months? Of course. Here's to a warm washcloth with nothing but water on it!! :-)