Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Catholic Underground with Brooke

What a fun weekend that was!

On Friday night, Brooke came over and we talked for several hours. She is so fascinated with my apartment that she brought over her camera this time, and she must have snapped at least 50 pictures of the stuff I have in here. She did it because she said people don't believe her when she tells them about my decor. There seems to be 3 prevalent themes, she said. These are fake food, Catholicism, or anything related to doves -- with a great emphasis on bright, happy colors. :-)

Then yesterday Brooke came over in the afternoon, and we jumped in my car and headed East. Our first destination was the St. Jude Catholic Shop, a wonderfully huge place of spiritual gifts! I bought her a large wooden Rosary for her birthday, and she loaded up on lots of goodies for her house. I bought a big handful of brown woolen Scapulars to give out to friends, and then unexpectedly fell in love with a beautiful oil-on-canvas painting of the Assumption of Our Lady. The detail and colors were magnificent, and the large wooden frame matched the wood in my bedroom perfectly -- and so it now graces a special spot on my bedroom wall!

After eating dinner at the mall, we soon found ourselves in side-by-side dressing rooms at Delia's, with clothes piled from the floor up to our knees. It was one of those insanely fun times, where we'd throw clothes over at one another as we attempted to swap sizes and share ideas. We laughed loudly and kept the dressing room attendant completely occupied (yet perhaps also entertained) and she was most helpful at running back to grab us things. But, most importantly, she flattered us completely when she asked, "What high school do you go to?" and perhaps that was only because she had heard Brooke say to me that I couldn't wear a certain something to school. Either way, it made us happy to be mistaken for 18-year-olds when we are really 11-15 years older than that! :-)

In the end, Brooke walked out with two pairs of jeans and probably a dozen shirts. And I found the perfect white dress to wear over a cute pair of tattered skinny jeans with holes in the knees! And while this outfit might seem totally random, it was anything but. I have been working to put together that outfit for a whole year, ever since I saw the lead singer of Flyleaf wear something like it at the concert last summer. Quite miraculously, just when I was at the register purchasing the outfit and explaining my inspiration to Brooke, a Flyleaf song came through the store's ceiling speakers. How awesome!

And while we probably should have just stayed in our old clothes, Brooke wanted to change into something new. So I changed in the bathroom and she chose to change in the car (right there in the parking lot!), and then we were off the the Cathedral of Saints Peter & Paul.

The main basilica should have been locked, for we were quite past the time for the benediction, and everyone would have moved down into the basement for the "coffee house" atmosphere and musical entertainment.

And even though we later puzzled the man who said he locked every door and couldn't imagine how we got in, we had no trouble doing so -- and spent a good long time praying before the Tabernacle and walking around the perimeter of the church, admiring its many side altars.

The most special moment was when we realized that the statue of Mary giving Saint Simon Stock the Brown Scapular was without a Brown Scapular. Their hands were empty, and I felt so sorry about that. So, after a few moments of contemplation, I decided to give up my favorite Brown Scapular (the one I had been wearing that day) and put it on the statue. Whether my Scapular stays there for a day or a month, I will feel privileged to have it in such a special place that inspires devotion!

I am so thankful for all the friends I have at the Catholic Underground. I got to give Melanie a statue of her beloved St. Philomena. Father Kevin blessed my new Miraculous Medal. Mark showed me his relic of St. Margaret Mary. Brian gave me a beautiful book to read. And then I finally got to meet Damian for the first time! And then of course it was nice seeing Abby, Marc, Joe, Andy, and Don again. I am so thankful for these inspiring companions!