Friday, May 15, 2009

The Microphone


I'm such a dork.

I have this wildly unrealistic desire to be the lead singer of a rock band.

I've had it for years and it makes no sense, especially because I'm incredibly timid about letting anyone hear me sing.

I have no musical talent with instruments, and my voice is probably boringly average to below-average in its ability to carry a tune.

Still, it's fun to dream.

And my friend Jesse, who conveniently happens to be a sound engineer that's worked with real bands at real clubs, is also wildly enthusiastic and hilarious, and the combination of these two traits can be explosive when we've both got a similar idea.

So Monday night we're having dinner, and he's giving me a REAL MICROPHONE. Of course, I've specifically requested that he give me a broken one. It won't be hooked up to anything, not only because it's wireless, but also because I have no sound equipment in this apartment (just plenty of fake food, doves, and Catholic items).

His objective is to get me used to the thing. I'm supposed to handle it frequently. Keep my eye on it. And sing into it as loudly as I can, whenever I've discerned that the girl in the apartment below mine is definitely out. And since it's broken, it wouldn't be bad if I took it into the shower with me, right?

He has a goal for me, set for one year from Monday. But I won't be telling you what that is. ;-)