Friday, October 23, 2009

Excuse me; may I please have your shirt?

I love cotton. I absolutely do.

And I'm not just talking about my lovely white cat who I miss every single day, although perhaps that's why I named him what I did.

No, for this blog I speak about the simple fabric. I'm sure you've got some on right now!

Cotton is just delightful. Sometimes--when nobody's looking--I do this weird thing with my fingers and hands as I handle the fabric. It allows me to savor the cotton for the delicacy that it is!

I can't get enough of it, and I simply ADORE it when it gets old, worn, and thinned-out.

This condition is unfortunately rare in the wardrobe of a girl who has entirely too many clothes, making the wearing-out of any one item in particular a much more lengthy process. So, for this girl who loves it so much, she thus finds herself in the position to actively seek it out.

If I had a boyfriend, I would surely be hoping that one day he'd accidentally leave one of those very-well-worn, no-longer-white undershirts here, perhaps after he mowed my lawn or something nice like that. Those have the precise condition of the cotton that I adore. I would wash the shirt, savor its softness, and then hope that he doesn't notice its absence.

But I don't have a boyfriend. So the chances of me finding one of those is slim.

So, unbeknown to my mother who thought I was tossing it out, I kept the green and white checkered bedsheets from my old twin bed simply because its now see-through softness was 20 years in the making. Goodness, my next opportunity for such a texture would not arrive until I was 50, and I could never wait that long! So, even though I have a big, grownup girl bed now, I'm keeping my twin-sized sheets. :-)

Right now I'm wearing a shirt that I can't take my hands off of. It feels incredible. I hope you don't think I'm weird, and I hope you can relate!