Monday, October 26, 2009

Hiking & Boating in the Poconos!

I’m usually not one for spontaneity and impracticality, but this weekend I embraced both – and had a lot of fun.

Doug had asked if I wanted to join his crew at a cabin in the Poconos. Having had fun the last time I was there this past winter, I decided to go again.

But, of course, I was spending the day in Washington, DC and had already been on the road for 6 hours at this point. Would it be impractical to depart on a subsequent 3.5-hour road trip when it’s 10:30 at night?

I went.

By the time my feet were scurrying across the little wooden bridge to the cabin that overlooks a lake, it was almost 2 in the morning. Would anyone still be up?

Fortunately, they all were…and while some individuals eventually hunkered down got a little bit of shut-eye, I never did!! Before long, the sun was rising and shining brightly through the huge windows, beckoning us outdoors!

The weather was glorious, warm, and brilliant with its sunshine. A bunch of us went on a hike through the woods, and we even did a little boating! I managed to take a 20-minute nap in there somehow, and the day concluded with a delicious meal from the grill. Then I drove home and went to 9 PM evening Mass.

After 44 hours of being awake, it was time finally time for my head to hit the pillow! Ignoring my yard work for a weekend was never before so much fun!