Friday, January 01, 2010

Bring It On, 2010!!!

Last night, 2010 ushered into our lives!

Mike, myself, and a condo-full of people had ended our celebrations early to gather in this adorable old chapel that felt like it had been constructed before indoor heating systems had been invented! It was so quaint but chilly!

I had driven past this chapel many times, always wanting to be inside it, but never being sure if it was Catholic. How neat that last night I finally got to enjoy Mass inside of it!

So we rang in the new year, eager for Midnight Mass to begin, counting our blessings from the past year and excited to see where 2010 will take us.

Did you know that 2010 is the last year (at least for a while) that can offer us those wonderful plastic sunglasses that New York City is so famous for?

The double zeroes (through which one can peer with the eyes) have been something we've enjoyed since 2000.

Well, actually, now that I think about it, the 1980s and 1990s offered us the same visual opportunities with sunglasses. The circular features of those numbers were perfect for tinted lenses also.

Perhaps you did not know this, but it has been my goal since 1980 to--at some point before 2010--make it to New York City to ring in the new year while wearing a pair of these shades. I've had 3 decades in which to achieve this goal.

The year 2010 was my cut-off, since after this, the years 2011, 2012, and just about everything after that do not make for good sunglasses.

But alas, I did not make it up to New York City this year to obtain a pair of these beloved sunglasses. Indeed, 30 years have passed and I never achieved my goal. *Sigh.

I suppose I shall have to wait until 2020 for the next decent pair of shades to be issued. In the meantime, I welcome this new decade into my life and pray for happiness, prosperity, longevity, and an abundant faith for all of us to enjoy! Happy new year.