Monday, April 12, 2010

Band Practice in My Garage

Dear reader, I am now finally ready to tell you about a new adventure I am on!

For as long as I can remember, I've always had the unrealistic desire to front a rock band as a female vocalist.

But, since I passed this off as merely a girlish fantasy, this dream never amounted to anything more than a silly comment here or there, when I was in the presence of anyone musical.

But, a few months ago, two guys took me seriously.  And one in particular didn't let me forget.  He brought his guitar over and suggested that our other friend bring his bass; and, before long, my lips were behind a microphone, my vocal chords frozen with fear from the realization that nobody in my life had ever heard me sing before, besides the little hums I do in church, where I hide my voice quietly below the congregation. 

I sang horribly that first night. And perhaps I still do, somewhat.  But I decided to not give up.

After all, didn't I learn somewhere that the Holy Spirit calls the available, not the able?  And didn't I write just a few days ago that overcoming our weaknesses is precisely the future to which we are called?

So I kept singing, with the littleness that God gave me, and I kept drinking water...and I kept singing some more.

Our keyboardist, a music professor who composes and sells violin concertos on the side, gave me my first set of voice lessons.

He showed me how to warm up my vocal chords using my beautiful green piano.  And he used breathing techniques and lots of humor to get me to increase my volume and break out of my shell.

Somehow the six of us found each other within the course of two weeks.

And somehow four of the six of us are on a similar talent and experience level.

And somehow they ALL liked the band name that hit me on a Midnight walk around the neighborhood with my dog one evening.  Our name is A Mirror Darkly, which refers to 1st Corinthians, Chapter 13.  Our verse speaks of the hope that--while now we may not be able to see and understand all of God and His love for us--one day we surely WILL.

Please keep us in your prayers as we discern--both musically and otherwise--where God is leading us in this project.

I thank Him for having the foresight to provide me with a garage that contains a plentiful amount of overhead lighting and an excessive amount of wall outlets, both of which I found to be odd when I first walked through the garage when I was considering buying this house -- but which are now proving to be quite useful!

I also thank Him for the incredible amount of high tech sound equipment He has blessed us with, and I thank Him for giving our bassist John the ability to buy the highest grade equipment over the course of the last several years, with the intuition that maybe someday he'd get his dream of being in a band, too.  :)

Pictured at right are 3 of the 6 of us.  From left to right are John (bass guitar), Greg (rhythm guitar), and Zac (lead guitar).