Monday, May 10, 2010

Celebrating Mother's Day

Yesterday we celebrated Mother's Day!

After wishing my own mother a happy Mother's Day on the telephone, it suddenly dawned on me that I ought to wish Macy this, too, for she is the mother of soooo many!

Macy had been sleeping near the kitchen door when I had this realization, and when I exclaimed, "Oh, Macy, I must wish you a happy Mother's Day also!" she immediately got up and came over to me, her face smiling and her tail wagging.  It is as if she knew what I said!  So precious! 

I gave her a hug, thanked her for being a wonderful mother to so many golden retriever puppies, and then, deep sadness came upon me as I remembered again how difficult life must have been for her as a breeding dog -- and how her heart must still ache, missing the children that she once raised.

Then I wished my dove Pure a happy Mother's Day, and she wiggled her little feathered head in acknowledgment, fluffing and puffing herself again as she kept warm the two little eggs beneath her.

We celebrated my mother, my grandmother, and my Godmother at a brunch today.  We ate at this cute little cafe that is also a library.  The French toast was delicious!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and mothers-to-be in this world!  And thank you, God, for giving me the very best mother of all!

"The Most Important Person on earth is a mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral—a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby’s body. . . The angels have not been blessed with such a grace. They cannot share in God’s creative miracle to bring new saints to Heaven. Only a human mother can. Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature. God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation. . . What on God’s good earth is more glorious than this: to be a mother?" --Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty