Friday, July 30, 2010

Vacation Bible School 2010

All this week, I have been helping out with Vacation Bible School at the little church across the street from my house.

This is the conclusion of many weeks of preparation!  This Summer, I've been working in the Religious Education Office every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon.   It has been so much fun helping to plan some of this!

I feel so honored that they asked me to play Our Lady.  I'm sure it's because I happen to have long brown hair, as she probably did. 

On Tuesday night, I was Our Lady of Lourdes.  We performed a short play about Our Lady appearing to St. Bernadette in a little grotto in France.  We did the skit 11 times, each to a different groups of students.  Then the students got to ask us questions afterward.  Fortunately, a few years ago I had a seen a movie about this, so I think I was able to answer most of their questions with accuracy!

On Wednesday night, I was Our Lady of Fatima.  I wore a similar dress-and-veil combo, only this time there there was no light blue in my outfit.  The message I gave to the children was just as important for me to hear: pray the Rosary daily for the conversion of sinners and for peace in the world!

Last night, I was Our Lady of La Vang.  Instead of a veil, this appearance of Our Lady in Vietnam had her wearing a gold crown and a fancy blue and gold dress.  Too bad I forgot to take a picture!  Since she appeared holding the baby Jesus, they gave me a life-size ceramic infant to hold, which--by the end of the night--felt like 50 pounds!

During one of the plays, my veil caught on a tree as I walked by it, and this started to pull my veil off and the tree began to topple!  Fortunately, I caught it and tried to smile gracefully.   So funny!

Tonight, as a conclusion of Bible School, we will have a special prayer service in the church where we will crown a statue of Our Lady as we entrust ourselves to her care and protection.

Please pray for the children...that this week was an educational and fruitful time for them as they learn to trust the Mother of God!