Monday, June 20, 2011

Stuffed Peppers!

Last week, I made stuffed peppers for the first time in my life! 

The prep time was a bit of a drag: 1 hour of assembly followed by 1 hour in the oven.

Or maybe I went slowly because I was venturing into uncharted culinary territory. 

Regardless, the extra time allowed me to fully discover one aspect of cooking that I hadn't really noticed before: I spend the entire time thinking about Michael.

I anticipate his response to the aroma wafting out of the kitchen window as he approaches the door.  I wonder what his first comments will be, and I image how he will eat it.  Goodness, I hope that he will enjoy it.  And then, I wonder, will he eat one or two stuffed peppers?  And will he ask to take one for lunch tomorrow?  Oh, I hope so!

The green peppers had to be boiled first, of course, so that they'd be easier to chew later.  I opted for "meatloaf mix" (which is pork, veal, and beef)  instead of just regular ground beef, and I do believe that was part of the reason why it was so flavorful.

Before stuffing the peppers, I cooked onions, garlic, rice, tomatoes, and oregano in extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet.  Then I mixed in the meat.

Once my green peppers were stuffed, I made a sweet glaze to pour over the tops of them, which was a combination of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and water.  I then served the stuffed peppers with mashed potatoes and apple sauce. 

So what was Michael's reaction? 

He loved them!  One giant pepper was plenty for him, and he definitely asked to take one home to have for lunch the next day at work!  Thank you, Jesus, for these little successes in the kitchen!