Monday, March 19, 2012

A Candle-Lit Dinner in the Underground Catacombs

One of the many things I love about my husband is how he regularly makes it a point to take me out on dates, even though he's already won my heart.  :)

Usually, the restaurant will be a surprise and it will be something extraordinary.

My favorite surprises have been the times he took me to the Cork and Cap, John J. Jeffries, Haden Zugs, and Ma(i)son. 

Even though I'm not a foodie girl, I must admit that the cuisine was outstanding.  I never would have tried these places on my own!

But the other night, he suggested a date night -- and suggested that I pick the place this time.  Being the local girl and all, surely I ought to know of something that he didn't, right?  Tee-hee.

So I suggested we try eating in the underground catacombs of Bube's Brewery.  As the name suggests, we had to descend deep into the ground (with our tour guide leading us down a rickety steep staircase) to our candle-lit table.  How fun!  Just like the catacombs of Italy, it was cool and humid beneath the ground.

But this night we would learn an important lesson.  Having 7:30 PM dinner reservations is just too late for a pregnant woman like me!  Since the tour was 20 minutes long and the waiting time was the usual length, we didn't eat our food until about 8:30 PM...and by this point, my evening nausea was so amplified that I couldn't eat a bite.  In fact, I felt so sick that I was also roasting...and had to excuse myself from the table several times to go outside into the cold night and chill myself!

Poor Michael.  I felt so sorry leaving him at the table by himself.  Thank God this wasn't a first date or else he would have surely thought I was not interested!

As soon as Michael pulled the car into the drive way, I jumped out and threw up three times in the yard.  Yuck!  From this, we concluded that we'll have to do lunchtime dates from now on!  Haha.