Friday, July 20, 2012

"Level with me...so that we can calibrate."

Praise God for Calibrating Conversations.

It's the kind where you cry your eyes out, admit your weaknesses, come clean, 'fess up, humble down, and...eventually move on.

We had one of those last night, Michael and me.

It wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it was important to us both.  And both of us refuse to let pride, materialism, or any sliver of dishonesty come between us.  Not even for a second.

I am grateful to be loved by a man who loves me despite my shortcomings.  I am grateful to be married to a man who readily admits his own weaknesses, too. 

He's so gosh-darn down-to-earth and practical sometimes that I swear he's got some of the best traits of my parents!  At other times, I'm more level-headed, but usually he's more of a grown-up than I am.  Whereas I'm prone to whining and complaining about the responsibilities of life, he just plows ahead and gets stuff done, no matter how boring or un-fun it is.

We decided, several days ago, that the theme of our marriage ought to be what the Church asks it to be (and which our friends Britta and Steve have for their own marriage):  that we must make each other SAINTS!

That's a tall order but an awesome one.  :)