Friday, August 17, 2012

Always Outside My Window

There's this man.

He's always outside my window.

Whether I peer out the kitchen window at 6:15 in the morning when I'm packing Michael's lunch or whether I look out the living room window just before getting in bed, there he is. 

Always.

He's not creepy.  And he's not looking in.  And he's always with one of two very small and very annoying dogs that bark incessantly if they catch sight of anyone else other than him.

All he's doing is walking his dogs past our house.  It just seems to happen CONSTANTLY.

In the last 3 years, I used to marvel at the coincide of how, each time I would peer out a window or exit the house to run an errand or water the plants, there he would be.  He'd be coming around the corner when I left for work in the mornings, and he be standing on our sidewalk precisely when I got home each day, even if my arrival time varied.

I mean, what were the chances?  What, indeed, was the probability?  I chalked it up to incredible, incredible coincidence.  But I scratched my head in confusion every time it happened.

But now, with me sitting around all day, keeping my legs hoisted up and my blood pressure down in preparation for Baby, I've had the time to literally TRACK the times I see him.  Yep, I started an Excel file this week!

I hope you don't think I'm one of those nosy neighbors who has nothing better to do but analyze the behaviors of the people in her neighborhood.  It's really not that all.  I don't really care what my neighbors are doing.  I'm just flabbergasted by the frequency of this mundane event, and the mathematician in me simply HAD to start collecting data in order to calculate the probability.

So here's my results: 
  • On average, the man sets out to walk his two dogs (one right after the other) once every 1 hour and 15 minutes. 
  • The circle he makes from his house, around ours, and back to his takes about 5 minutes per dog for a total of 10 minutes.  
  • The majority of those 10 minutes are spent on our sidewalk or in view of our windows since we are a large corner property.
  • He walks by our home about 19 times a day.  Incredible.
  • That's roughly 95 minutes a day that he is standing very close to our house.
  • This means that, at any given moment when I look out the window or leave the house, I have a 13% chance of seeing him.
 I don't know what to say.   I am honestly speechless!