Monday, December 31, 2012

That Trinitarian Irish Leaf

I've been rediscovering my Irish heritage lately.

Maybe it's because we named our lad the Irish name Liam.

Or maybe it's because Liam now has a thick, cable-knit Irish sweater to wear (thanks to my sister-in-law, Cindy).

Or maybe it's because Michael's been talking about a trip to Ireland, the Island of Saints and Scholars.

Perhaps I've been subtly influenced by the green bottle of Irish Spring men's body wash that sits in our shower.

Or maybe it's because Notre Dame is undefeated right now.

Whatever it is that has inspired me to get my Irish on lately, it's resulted in this:  a gold Trinitarian clover leaf around my neck.

Unlike the four-leaf clover, this one's not for luck; it's a representation of the Holy Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I found it inexpensively at a vintage jewelry shop, and the store owner explained that it's likely to have come directly from Ireland, since the imprint in the gold showed that it was the equivalent of 9-karat, a degree of gold that just isn't made here in the United States but which is very common in the Emerald Isle.  I love its luster.