Saturday, January 26, 2013

Butter, Optional

The other evening was freezing cold.  We were in for the night, watching TV, all three of us sharing a warm afgan that my grandmother crocheted.  Michael felt snacky.  And I was sipping hot tea and knew I needed something to go with it.

"I'll make chocolate chip cookies!"  I boasted, sliding in my slippers to the kitchen.

But, soon after getting Michael's hopes up, I realized that I didn't have the two sticks of butter that the recipe called for.  Instead, I had about two spoon fulls, if that.  Oh, goodness.


Not letting this phase him, Michael insisted that I proceed with confectionery confidence.  A little less butter would mean a little less guilt as we gulped them, right? 

I had exactly two eggs and just barely enough flour (and I prefer to use the whole wheat kind), plus just enough of all the other necessary ingredients.  So, I gave it a try!  What was the worst that could happen?  They'd simply be inedible. 


Incredibly, the cookies turned out OK!  Their appearance and texture were a bit non-traditional (rather more bumpy than usual), but the taste was nearly equivalent.  Yum, yum, yum!