Saturday, January 12, 2013

He never told us it was so yucky!

Today I decided to taste the Vitamin D liquid that we give our son. 

It's called D-Vi-Sol, and it's supposed to supplement the vitamins and minerals he gets from my breastmilk.  He gets just one milliliter of the brown liquid a day.

That is, if we remember.  And I must admit that often Michael and I forget.

I have an easygoing attitude toward vitamin supplements.  I think they're important, yes, but not critical.  In fact, a break from the dosage every once in a while is good for the body, I think.

This isn't a hunch.  I can back it up with the research I did when I typed up a 3-page paper on the topic back in middle school.  :)

I'm especially leery of fat-soluble vitamins, and Vitamin D is one of them.  Plus, I drink an enormous amount of milk myself, and it's enriched with Vitamin D.  So, I'm hoping that my breastmilk has a good amount of it, anyway.

So, if we forget a dosage once every two weeks, I don't lose sleep over it.

Anyway, I digress.

I tasted it for the first time today.  It was DISGUSTING.  It tastes TERRIBLE.  I can't believe our little son never once complained about it.  Are his taste buds not fully developed or something? He downs it like an old pro.

Of course, I've heard other mommies have trouble administering this.  And the cause may not be so much the material but rather the method.  If it weren't for my amazing lactation consultant Elaine, I would have never known that inserting my pinky finger face-up into his mouth causes the sucking reflex, which makes it all go down.