Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Grass Beneath Our Feet

I'm learning that it's so important to live in the moment.  To stop, right where you are, and to feel the grass growing beneath your feet.  To appreciate where you're planted.  To enjoy the view, right from where you are.

Yesterday, Liam and I spent some quality time with his grandparents and great grandmother.  The weather made it feel like we were in the middle of the Summer!  Before dinner, we hung out on my grandmother's front lawn, admiring brand new flowers and feeling the growing grass beneath our feet. 


We sat on lawn chairs and reminisced about the last time that we did this, which was way back in the early '90s when we had Harold the duck.  Just as I began to fondly recall the bucket of water that we used to put Harold in, my mother suggested that we get a little tub of cool water for Liam to soak his hot feet in!  This we did, and our boy absolutely LOVED it.  (So did this mama.)


When my father arrived, we all decided to go on a walk around the neighborhood.  Liam rode in my backpack carrier and his great grandmother rode in a wheelchair, both of them making eyes at each other as we strolled.  My grandmother laughed frequently as my mother attempted to navigate the wheelchair up over curbs and out of little ditches in the grass.  This blissful, brief walk left me with a memory I will not soon forget.

This was Liam's first experience of feeling grass beneath his bare feet!
Those little piggies liked it!  We can't wait for lots of new, lush, softer grass to grow!
We went inside, then, and enjoyed a marvelous pork roast dinner.  My mother sent me home with the recipe, a new, uncooked piece of meat, and several jars of seasonings so that I could serve up the meal for my husband in the coming days.  Thanks for your thoughtfulness, Mom!

So here's to living in the moment and feeling the grass beneath your feet.  My plan is to keep doing it as often as possible.  :)