Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Great Reason to Golf

If he has a decent block of free time (which isn't often these days), my husband will take any chance to golf that he can get.  And if he's not golfing, then he's hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range.  And if he's not doing that, then he's watching the Golf Channel or a how-to DVD that I bought him for Christmas.

I always know when he's in a good mood because he'll start to relate whatever it is we're talking about to the sport of golf.  He'll connect my musings about life to what he just experienced at the 18th hole.  Or, as we resolve an argument, he'll remind me that we never give up, just like he's not giving up on trying to improve his golf swing.  Or he'll relate my overspending at the grocery store to how many golf clubs that equals (which usually then sours his good mood).

And he rounds down.  Always.  Yes, even if the number to the right is 5 or greater.  This is frustrating for a former math teacher, but it's a sure sign of a true golfer.

On Friday, Michael took the day off from work to go golfing with his father and brother for a very great cause.  They played to raise money for our niece Maeve's private Catholic school.  The men had a great day and met up with the ladies afterward for ice cream, gelato, and Italian ice at Rita's.

I'm beginning to think that there's an unwritten code that a person should never ask a man what his golf score is.  Michael tells me, of course, but only if I ask.  For the most part, what happens on the golf course, stays on the golf course.  And that's probably a good thing.  :)