Thursday, September 12, 2013

For One Year of Motherhood

Michael is so good to me!  He gave me this beautiful gift to celebrate my first year of motherhood!

It's a vintage signet ring made of 10-karat gold, my favorite luster!

Truth be told, I kinda dropped some hints a few years ago that I would love a plain signet ring.  And it helped that we happened to encounter this ring TOGETHER as we strolled through the park one afternoon.

Yes, we had unsuspectingly embarked  to our local park, not realizing that it was the annual Antiques Day.  This surprise discovery meant that I'd be fussing over more than just ducks in the pond.  There'd be vintage-y treasures lurking behind every tree!  And there was.

We browsed the old-fashioned toys for Liam, Michael haggled for an Atari game system (with no luck), and I merely glanced at some estate jewelry.  Really, I just glanced.

AND THERE IT WAS.

Perfect size.  Perfect shape.  Polished.  And plain.

I bit my lip.

And then I insisted that we walk out of the park without it.  So we did.

But Michael knew how much I liked it, and he knew what I was trying to replace.  When I was a little girl, my parents gave me a gold signet ring with my initial "L" engraved onto it.  I wore and wore and wore it until its gold plating wore off completely.  To this day, I don't have the heart to throw it out, so it sits happily retired in my jewelry box. 

Thanks to Michael's sweetness, this little gold signet ring made its way onto my hand anyhow.  And I could not be happier!  Thank you, my dear husband!!