Monday, November 11, 2013

Us 3 at 3 AM

I shouldn't complain. 

Most of the time, little Liam sleeps 11 or 12 hours straight, and this is a very generous gift to us.

But, every once in a while, he doesn't. 

The worst night of sleeplessness happened two days before he took very sick.  He was full of energy that night, giggling and chatting, eating whatever snacks I'd give him, and happily crawling back and forth in our living room until 4 AM when he finally decided that he ought to end his day.

Oh, was I exhausted!  But this is the privilege of motherhood.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I left a note for Michael in the bathroom, begging him to please not kiss me before he left for work, lest it wake me, since I had only gone to bed an hour before his alarm would go off.

But the other night, when Liam slept for 6 hours but then awoke at 3 AM for snacks and toys, Dad joined in on the Middle of the Night Fun.

While I went to the kitchen to prepare an array of snacks (with the determined attitude of, "Please eat your fill of anything you want so that I can get some sleep!"), Daddy turned on the living room lights and dove into the toy box, making the most of this unexpected family time together.  We ate, we played, we sang songs, and we read books.

By 6:30 AM, we were all back in bed.  Thank God it was Saturday morning!