Friday, May 09, 2014

Mother's Day Comes Early!

For the first time since I've known him, today my husband took A Day Off Of Work, not for the purposes of fighting the flu, but for one purpose only: to spend time with his family!

He suggested it randomly last weekend, and I couldn't believe my ears.  I was so excited that I tucked a reminder note in his lunchbox on Monday morning so that he wouldn't forget to make the request.

He made The Plans for today, and I marveled at how he wanted to honor me with them!  Indeed, Mother's Day was to begin early this weekend!  He rose early to take my car in for an oil change and tire rotation.  He took Liam out in the backyard for 45 minutes so that I could enjoy a hot shower and the chance to shave my legs and paint my toenails.

Then he waited in the car for 45 minutes while I waited in line for a professional piercer to switch out my tragus jewelry to something new.  For lunch, he took us to a big farmer's market for a deliciously unhealthy meal and a long, leisurely stroll through the outdoor stands and indoor shops.  I was in Heaven!

And then he drove us an hour away to an upscale mall to indulge my taste for a new French handbag and his taste for some Japanese cuisine! 


Yes, girls, today Michael bought me my first Longchamp Le Pliage, an iconic fold-away tote bag that made its debut back in 1993 when I was a mere high school freshman.  Named after an equestrian race track in France, the brand gives its products a lifetime warranty (just mail it back for free repairs) and owes its success to the little product which has become "the tote bag standard" in most international airport stores.

I had my choice of a zillion colors and sizes, but I went for the rationality of large and the practicality of navy.  What do you think of my choice?


 Now I must begin thinking of how I will honor him with Father's Day happening next month!