Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hoping to Grow Old Gracefully


There's a girl out there who has no idea how I admire her. She doesn't have a clue that--to me--she is both a fashion icon and an example of what it means to age gracefully.

She's about 45 or so, and she's let her hair go completely gray except for the back underside which she's dyed jet black (which is such an inspirational, funky style for me who's got the genes to go gray early also). She's the owner of a vintage clothing shop, and while she has a feminine flair for wearing vintage skirts and cat's eyeglasses with 1950s conservativeness, a random piece (like a plastic ring or funky pair of tights) will just charge her image with a youthful energy. I want to be like that when I'm her age!!

Role models are so important. We need good ones to be in every sector of society and every nook and cranny of our personal lives. I am thankful to have MANY living role models in my life to whom I can look for a good example. And while I give the majority of my respect to the role models in my life who embody good Christian values, this is the girl that represents the way I hope to grow old gracefully in terms only of fashion.

If you haven't yet picked a real person to which you can aspire to look like as you grow old, be on the lookout for one. Having seen this gray-haired, super-funky yet classy older woman has totally inspired me to believe that I can grow old while retaining some of my self-image and sense of style. :-)