Saturday, January 10, 2009

Feeling Bloated But Curvy

When a girl is about to turn 30, she has a decision to make.

Metaphorically speaking, she must decide if she's going to follow the straight and narrow or allow herself to take the curvy road.

So I've started asking myself questions.

Do I work to keep my girlish figure or should I let myself expand into the new decade I am entering?

Do I buy the next size jeans or keep squeezing into my old ones?

Should I look age-appropriate because I'm almost 30 or should I remain thin because I'm still single?

Here's a few things to consider:

At age 16, my weight froze. I became a vegetarian, and thus I stayed a steady 120 pounds for about 10 years. Then, at age 26, I decided to eat meat again. Two years passed with no difference, but at the start of year three of being a carnivore, I gained 10 pounds. I haven't decided yet if I like it, but I think I do.

We girls are constantly analyzing our bodies. So every day I ask myself whether or not I want to lose those 10 pounds or let myself gain 10 more. Neither has happened because I just can't decide, obviously.

When I'm in my 40s and 50s, I know I want to have curves. I want to look typical and average with my body weight. But I can't decide what I want for right now.

I wish my perception of self was independent of the persuasions of our culture. And I wish that I didn't care so much about how my body is perceived by males. It seems easier for me to hear, "You need some meat on your bones," than for someone to tell me that I ought to shed some.

I feel like I am on the precipice of bodily change. Within every month, I go from looking pregnant to having a washboard stomach and back again. Why does this happen?

So sometimes, when I'm feeling bloated, I try it on for size and convince myself that I'm just acquiring curves. :-)