Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Music & a Macchiato on a Mini-Sabbatical!


Today I got a special treat!

I was PAID to work from home! For teachers, this opportunity is a rare one. But they hired a substitute for me so that I could stay home and map out the 7th grade pre-algebra curriculum.

To keep myself focused on this boring task, I decided to plant myself, my laptop, and my scads of paperwork on a table at Barnes & Nobel.

I wore my nose ring, just for kicks, since normally it wouldn't make its appearance on a Tuesday. I savored a hot Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, and wore my huge pair of pink 1980s headphones, figuring I could block out distractions with a little Birthday Massacre.

I arrived in the afternoon, figuring that if I worked 7 hours on the project, it didn't really matter when I started and ended so long as I gave it the time it deserved.

But first I had lunch with my friend Nate at the hospital. He gave me a tour of his office, let me rummage through his supply of health care pens, and then we ate in the cafeteria until he got paged to the Emergency Triage.

The best part is that the fun isn't over! I get to do this again next Tuesday for a different part of the curriculum, this being of the regular math variety. I'm so excited. Perhaps I'll go to Border's this time instead. There is something exceedingly pleasurable about being out in the world when everyone else is at work!