Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Fragility of Precious Life

Life is so fragile and precious.

Sometimes we take for granted our strength, resilience, and fortitude.

Life is ALWAYS a gift, no matter how short, no matter how inconvenient, and no matter how fragile or weak.

When we are reminded of our fragility (whether it is through a temporary setback, an ailment, or a another person's sufferings) we ought to take notice and absorb the lesson as our own!

I write on this topic today because one of my dear friends just lost her baby last night.

My heart absolutely aches for her, her husband, and the little one they lost. And even though that little baby was never born, I saw the joy that this little baby brought to his mother's life, even though his own was so short. But his life was certainly a sweet one, for his mother loved and held him every day of his little life!

His presence was the cause of our excitement and joy at lunch in the faculty room, and he inspired many stories and laughs between us teachers. But his life has even more purpose than even that which is visible to me. One can never truly know the totality of the reaching effects of one life to another. In fact, I would like to say that the effect of one life is indeed eternal. One life absolutely effects the rest of ETERNITY!

Pure and Innocent lost their baby chick, too. He died just before his anticipated hatch day (which was 18 days after the laying last month). And, in sadness, both Mother and Father Dove stopped their dutiful sitting on the egg. When I held my flashlight up to the eggshell, I could see that his little body had stopped wiggling. I haven't buried him in my parents' backyard yet, but soon I will.