Saturday, April 18, 2009

Late-Night Birthday Parties & Eye Tricks

Tonight we celebrated Shawn's 23rd birthday!

I had intended to go to the grocery store earlier in the day to buy a small cake and some candles; but, instead, I found myself reliant on whatever the kind man in Turkey Hill could find for me at 11:30 at night!

He had been working there for 8 years, he explained, and he never once sold a pack of mini birthday candles until he sold them to me tonight!

But, of course, candles aren't good without a cake, and so I searched their TastyCake collection before I found a rectangular piece of chocolate-covered sponge cake that looked like it would do the trick.

Shawn seemed to appreciate the gesture, but we found the cake to be in no condition to eat, once the candles were blown out and we saw that the icing had been completely covered in melted wax! Ick! But it was still a lovely party, I think!

But then, when you come home late at a sleepy 2:30 AM, sometimes your eyes can play tricks on you.

Before going to bed tonight, I decided to spend some time loving my doves. Since Pure was sitting on the nest, only Innocent was free to be affectionate with me this evening.

After a while, I gently returned Innocent to the cage and crouched down to see how Pure was doing on Mom duty.

To my utter amazement, I saw a beautiful PEARL in the nest!! And, for a few sleepy seconds, I began to marvel at her laying capabilities.

But then I remembered that pearls only came from OYSTERS, and indeed I had retired my saltwater tank many years ago! From where did this orb of shiny beauty come if it did not originate inside my dove?

Upon closer inspection, I noticed a small metal hook attached to the pearl. Then I realized what had happened! Several days ago, I had worn a costume bracelet to school which was covered with large pearls of various sizes. I could only surmise that one had fallen off my wrist and into the cage...and then into the watchful protection of Mr. & Mrs. Dove!